Friday 13 February 2009

Back to the Old British Past Times

**First of all, my bad. Please accept my apologies for not updating for such a long time. I’m learning to post regularly. Please continue to use the comment and chatter box feature to leave any message. Now, let us talk about museum….

It was a hot British summer and we four young girls decided to pay this place a visit. The Beamish Museum has always been a well known place for people in the North East. It features the live in 1800 to 1900. For me this is a very special museum because everything in there is alive. Yes…ALIVE....just like the movie – Night At the Museum starred by the main actors Ben Stiller, Robin Williams and Owen Wilson. Ooooh..how creepy is that. *LOL* Precisely, it is actually very interesting. This is a living museum. I love this place. If I have known earlier I would have brought along my picnic basket and making sure it is packed with the best British picnic food like luxury potted shrimp/lobster as spread on crackers, parsnip crisps with black pepper, rich smoked cheese, heavenly filled Cornish pasty, strawberries and clotted cream, nice bottle of wine or cider, and the list goes on and on….I love picnic very much and I think I inherited that especially from my dad.

So....Every museum has an entrance so as this one. I don’t think anyone will miss it. The museum is located on several hills and valleys.
And of course you may choose to walk or get the tram or the bus. Remember we are now back to the olden days in Britain. So the locomotives should be consistent to that time's trend.

First is the farm. Actually there was the 1800 period, but I'm gonna skipped that for you. *Cheeky grin*

That closet below is the toilet. No wonder WC means wash closet. *LOL* Look closer and you will notice there is a bench with two holes on top. I think you will figure out what to do next.
The oven actually has real fire and the picture on its right is them smoking the meat to make smoked bacon. This is found in the room on the second floor directly above the oven.
Now we are in the 1900. Here is the town. There are shops, banks, dental surgery, court room, sweet shop, sundry shop and the printing shop.
This man was playing music out from his old wooden box. He was whinning it like you would normally do with your music box.
The above was a demostration of making honey comb sweet. It was a combination of syrup, sugar and somemore sweethening or hardening materials. When the yellow thing has harden and cool down, they will dismantle it into bite size pieces. Everyone there get to sample a piece so did I. =P
Here is the school and the school yard.This piece of board is where student uses a metal nail to scratch on it to write their answer.
Horse carridges. There are the high class and the lower class one.

We are now in the middle class home. Below is something their servant will bring to them every morning to wash their face.



The army camp. There was live gun fire exhibition.
The print shop. This reminded me about the Britsh evolution period which some history I learnt while in school.

Then we continue to the mine. It was actually a real coal mine. Inside was dark and cold.
It was an enjoyable and quite educational trip for us. I will go there again when we get the hot British weather back. Gladly the snow has not hit us in the North too badly. I shall blog about that on the next post.

1 comment:

  1. This place is in England, somewhere in county Durham. I'm sure Beasmish Museum is not the only one living museum.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails